This week I had a friend ask me about setting up a team of python developers in the Philippines. I advised her not to choose the Philippines specifically.
Why? Simply because of the depth and availability of talent.
I searched on LinkedIn for the keyword “python” in the Philippines and there were 952 results.
This compares with India at 24,638 and the United States at 179,443
952 people is actually a very small talent pool especially when you consider that most of those people would not be suitable for the job. Just having the word python in your LinkedIn profile does not make you suitable to work as a python developer!
How do you figure out where to hire from?
At Staff.com this is something we consider whenever hiring a new staff member. Here are a few examples of roles and the countries where they can usually be filled most easily:
- Calling customers – For any work that involves calling customers or potential customers, the Philippines is a great option because it’s easy to find people with great English and minimal accents. High level sales roles – It’s close to impossible to find this offshore, however you can find US expats living in locations such as Mexico or Argentina.
- Web development – The Philippines and India are great countries to consider for languages such as PHP or to build a simple WordPress site.
- Desktop development – Ukraine and Russia are good options.
- Project management – In our experience the best project management talent is in the US.
- UX/UI design – It’s very hard (close to impossible) to find a high quality UI designer in India or the Philippines. You might need to focus on the US although there are some good high quality designers in Eastern Europe in our experience.
This list is not definitive. There are great people in many countries. However there are some places where it is easier to find them, and that’s the point. Don’t focus too narrowly on one country unless you’re sure that the talent is available in that country. If necessary search across multiple countries.
About the Author: